If this is your first time to try to do SEO on a website, then you are probably quite overwhelmed with all the different SEO strategy and techniques that you can do. Do not worry too much about it because this article will provide you with a basic but effective process.
The first thing that you should do is keyword research. You should know by now that the most important part of any optimization is the keyword you will be targeting for your website. So how should you start with it? Think of a main keyword, or often called a seed, and use that to begin your research. You can use any keyword research tool, and there are both paid and free versions for that. The great thing with paid tools is that these often will provide you with the long tail variations of the keywords you are searching. And long tail is often better because there are less competition with those key terms. But that’s another subject.
Now that you already have your keywords, it’s time to put them in the right places. The most important part would be the title tag of each web page on your site. Use a keyword that is appropriate, as much as possible, to the content of the page. This is why often the best approach is to first find the keywords you want and then create content based on those keywords. But if the content have been done first, then just try your best to incorporate the keywords on that page and also within the content. Should you worry about keyword density? Not really. For as long as the keyword is in the title, that should be enough on page optimization already.
Your website now has all the keywords in place, it is then time to do off page optimization. This is mostly about link building and the most important component of a link (or a backlink which is just a link pointing to your website) would be the anchor text. It is what describes a link, often it says what the website is all about. Therefore you should use your target keyword in place of the anchor text. But that is only if you can request the owner of that website to use your desired anchor text.
Just a quick reminder. Never buy links. The major search engines do not like this tactic and should you be found out engaging in this activity, your website would be penalized. How? By not showing your site in the search results for your desired keywords. Should that happen, your website traffic would surely go down.
Now it is time to know some top strategies:
* The foremost thing that you need to do is to have a look at your blog or web page and see whether it is optimized for search engines or not. You need to make sure that it has the right META tags and makes use of keywords in the title as well as description of the blog. Moreover, your blog needs to have a good URL containing your main keyword.
* The next killer strategy that you can employ is to optimize the content of your blog for the search engines. This will do wonders for your SEO campaign. Optimizing content on your blog means using the right titles that contain the keywords and writing the content according to the search engines directions. You should make sure that your blog contains enough keywords to be considered for those keywords for search engines. This will increase SEO juice of your blog.
* The next SEO strategy that beginners should use is article marketing. This does wonders for the beginners as well as advanced SEO campaigners. The articles are published to high ranking websites. These articles will not only generate backlinks but will also generate direct traffic for you. You can either hire someone else to write articles for you or can write them yourself if you are low on budget.
* Social media should be your next stop. You can easily find all the top social media websites and can create accounts on them. Then do a little research and see how people are searching for your niche. Once you know that, you can easily promote your blog/website using the social media. Using viral content on social media can do wonders for you.
* Finally, you need to generate as many backlinks as many you can using the blog comments and forums. This is a free method to generate backlinks. The more backlinks you have, the better visibility you will have on search engines. Your SEO campaign will increase traffic tremendously and will enhance your visibility on the search engines if you have lot of backlinks to high ranking websites. Try to create backlinks to PR 3 and above i.e. PR 2 and PR 1 websites.
Aside from link building there are other off page optimization that you can try. You can do social bookmarking. You can submit your site’s RSS feed to RSS feed aggregators. You can also do video marketing.
This is just a basic SEO strategy that you can follow, especially if you are just starting out in SEO. Just remember to take your time and do not rush things. Because often you can get yourself in trouble with the search engines if you go for quicker and less desirable tactics. These tips should help any website significantly improve its rankings.