Yes, Spelling mistakes can have a negative effect on the positions of your web pages in search results. In addition to this, there are many more quality signals that Google checks on your web pages.
How Important is to avoid spelling Mistakes:
Google’s Matt Cutts confirmed in a video, that the number of spelling mistakes correlates with the Page Rank of a website:
“We noticed a while ago that, if you look at the Page Rank of a page – how reputable we think a particular page or site is – the ability to spell correlates relatively well with that. So, the reputable sites tend to spell better and the sites that are lower Page Rank, or very low Page Rank, tend not to spell as well.”
This does not mean that Google uses this as a ranking signal. However, Google’s latest “Panda” algorithm update indicates that Google considers several quality signals when ranking web pages.
At the time of Google’s first Panda Update, they also released a list of questions that can help you to judge the quality of your site:
* Does the article have spelling, stylistic, or factual errors?
* How much quality control is done on content?
* Is the content mass-produced by or outsourced to a large number of creators, or spread across a large network of sites, so that individual pages or sites don’t get as much attention or care?
* Was the article edited well, or does it appear sloppy or hastily produced?
* Does the article contain insightful analysis or interesting information that is beyond obvious?
* Would you expect to see the article in a printed magazine, encyclopedia or book?
* Are the pages produced with great care and attention to detail vs. less attention to detail?
* Does the article have an excessive amount of ads that distract from or interfere with the main content?
* Are the articles short, unsubstantial, or otherwise lacking in helpful specifics?
* Does the article describe both sides of a story?
* Does the article provide a complete or comprehensive description of the topic?
If you want to make sure that your web pages get high rankings on Google, you have to make sure that your web pages contain high quality content.
Low-quality content on some parts of your website can impact the whole site’s rankings. Remove low quality pages and improve the content of individual shallow pages into more useful pages.
So spelling mistakes can influence your ranking on Google. So try to avoid them.