The key to healthy aging is a healthy lifestyle. Although a healthy lifestyle includes eating healthy foods and practicing portion control, we must look at all aspects of the physical and mental body. For physical health, consider the eyes, joints, digestive tract, and heart. For mental health examine stress management. Considering the whole body makes possible a body younger than you look.
Weight loss, in the medical sense, means a reduction in total body mass. People select a weight-loss program to improve health, fitness, or appearance. If you view weight as number on a scale, you can achieve a reduction through a loss of fluid, body fat, muscle, or a variety of tissues. I have been successful with many diets, yet none created a long-lasting lifestyle change. I lose the weight and then return to previous eating habits. A better approach is to determine your ideal weight and institute nutritional eating habits that permit you to consistently lose one to four pounds per month. Once you reach the weight goal, continue nutritional eating habits with slight changes in quantities and types of foods.
Sedentary lifestyle is characterized by an excess amount of sitting at work or home. My generation used the term “couch potato”.. We must get out of your chairs, off the couches, or whatever we sit on for long periods of time, and move around. Below are seven suggestions I found helpful: As you consider them, let your creativity run wild for other things you can do.
- Get up and move every hour, include standing, stretching, and walking around.
- Use a headset and walk around during telephone conversations.
- Take a walk during your lunch hour, outdoors, if possible.
- Deliver important messages in person rather than sending emails.
- Take the stairs instead of an elevator.
- Walk or ride a bike to work. If you drive, park your car at the farthest end of the parking lot.
- If you just have to watch TV, get up and walk around during the ads, and do some simple exercises.
Living the changes as the months turn to years can make a major difference in a healthy lifestyle. Start your changes today.